It Is Never Just a Job
We believe that our people are our biggest asset. Passionate, enthusiastic, and competent employees are what make the L&L Products family a success and a great place to work.
Want to become a family member?
Research & Development Director
FulltimeShanghai, China Posted on December 16, 2020
Purpose of function:
- The R&D Director plans, organizes, manages (leading), coordinate and control the R&D activities in order to reach/achieve company targets, within the validated budget.
- The job must be done in the respect of the company Culture, Vision, Values, Shareholders expectations and high-touch business model.
- Research & Development Director is a member of the China Management Team.
As China Management Committee member:
- Safety of all L&L employees.
- Proactively propose and make recommendations on which long-term topics the Company management committee must work on.
- Participates in ensuring the long-term sustainability of the company’s profit.
- Develop people in the organization. Grow talent underneath to enable growing the company.
- Provide support across all company management to help people achieve their targets while enhancing the teamwork spirit.
- Make sure that all teams have a positive spirit that is sustained over the long term.
- Actively drive experiences of one department / Team to another one when needed and/or appropriate.
- Develops and/or maintains and improves business relations with all customers and all other external business contacts.
- Contributes to the good reputation of the company in assuring a good service to the customers and all other external contacts.
As R&D Director:
- Pilot of the R&D Process.
- A successful record of being the conceptual creator and driving force behind successful material developments with positive commercial impact.
- In charge of all R&D activities and personnel involved in these activities.
- Management and direction of a group of researchers at various stages of their professional careers.
- The ability to lead, mentor, and help develop younger scientists and engineers to become increasingly more competent and able to handle increasing responsibility.
- While maintaining focus on the global company’s strategic goals, he/she provides leadership to the day-to-day operations of R&D department.
- Clearly defines what needs to be done in Research and what needs to be achieved in Development
- Formulate and provide a clear mid-term to long-term (3 to 5 years) strategy of R&D departments, taking into account customers and other departments of the company inputs. Make sure the long-term strategy of R&D department is in harmony with the long-term trends at the customer, customers’ expectations and company long-term strategy defined by the company executive team.
- Ability for novel thought and to address successfully previously unaddressed problems.
- The ability to interact successfully with a wide range of disciplines and job functions within the current organization and with customers.
- Understand the customer unmet needs in the APAC region, develop technologies and or products to solve customer pain points.
- Understanding of engineering and scientific fundamentals with the capability to translate these understandings into novel conceptions that can be then turned into successful commercial results.
- Using existing technologies to make new products to address customer needs.
- Awareness of intellectual property landscape, development of formal intellectual property either alone, or with colleagues, understanding and providing advice related to intellectual property of competitors.
- Manage the IP portfolio effectively and ensure our right to practice and stop competitors when found using our IP.
- Anticipates ahead the risks of major business decisions related to R&D department.
- Make sure that the worldwide strategies and activities of R&D departments’ activities are well coordinated, when needed, with counterparts in other regions worldwide.
- Translation and localization of developments from other regions to launch production in China with potential adaptation for the Chinese market.
- Establish performance goals for all R&D team and monitors performance on a continual basis.
- Manage/lead R&D departments and take the needed actions to reach the agreed goals.
- Management and oversight of a professional laboratory with the ability to understand current and future laboratory needs for analytical equipment and laboratory process equipment. This includes proposals to management for equipment and laboratory facility upgrades.
- Support for troubleshooting and resolution of manufacturing and process engineering related events.
- Understanding and directing activities related to chemical regulatory requirements.
- Prepares annual and 3 years budgets for R&D department. Put in place the right organization that permit to ensure the needed follow-up in regards to the validated budget.
- Define the needed reporting tools in order to drive R&D department.
- Other tasks assigned by superior.
- PHD degree in Chemistry of Polymer Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or equivalent. An exception could be considered for a Master’s level candidate with an exceptional record or professional success.
- More than 20 years working experience in material research and development especially in Epoxy, Polyurethane chemistry at least 10-year experience in similar positions.
- Familiar with one or two industries such as Auto, CV, Train or Aero industry.
- Strong leadership and great team player to drive behavior and business.
- Innovative, think out of the box, pragmatic, get the things done.
- Autonomy in material development and industrialization.
- Strategically thinker and proven ability to develop and execute accordingly strategic plan.
- Effective problem-solving skills.
- Proactive communicate attitude / skill with customers, internal and partner.
- Strong business sense.
- Good charisma and high level of energy.
- Be able to work effectively in both Eastern and Western cultures.
- Self-motivated and result driven.
- Fluent in Mandarin and English.
- Should be ready to travel frequently to meet customers
Please send resume to [email protected]