We are pioneers in the development, design, and manufacture of macro-composites for crashworthiness, local and global stiffness, vibro-acoustics and durability enhancements.Explore
L&L Reinforce Innovative macro-composite technologies
In 1998, L&L pioneered macro-composites known as Composite Body Solutions™ (CBS™). Ever since, the technology platform has grown continuously due to constant innovation and successful partnerships with our customers. By implementing our joint development approach that encompasses meeting a customer’s existing needs, we also develop materials, systems, and products that predict their future requirements.
Let’s get in touch!
Are you interested in our reinforce solutions? We look forward to a conversation!Contact
Our Continuous Composite Systems™ (CCS™) combine a fiber-reinforced pultruded composite carrier with highly engineered sealants and adhesives in a two-dimensional profile. The system is designed to provide strength, stiffness, and rigidity to a lightweight structure.
By using Continuous Composite Systems™, our customers gain a cost-effective reinforcement solution that brings extensive engineering knowledge and advanced CAE modeling offering improved strength-to-weight ratio compared to metals.
Furthermore, CCS™ is distinguished by the ability to combine our adhesives and reinforce products to provide an optimized solution.
Want to learn more about CCS™? Visit our CCS™ Masterbrand page.
- Nonconductive and insulating
- Low co-efficient of thermal expansion
- Excellent structural properties
- High predictability in energy management
- CAE capabilities help deliver optimal profile designs
- Can be paired with L&L adhesive chemistry for multifunctional applications
- Reduces weight – 75% lighter than steel; 30% lighter than aluminum
- Provides strength, stiffness and rigidity to a lightweight structure
- Cost effective
- Consistent quality due to continuous process method
- Cost competitive with alternative lightweight solutions
- Eliminates need for anti-corrosion coatings
Automotive and Commercial Vehicle
- Door Beams
- Windshield Reinforcements
- Cross Members
- Roof Rails
- Applications where aluminum extrusions are currently used or considered
Composite Body Solutions™ (CBS™) enable lightweight body structures without compromising overall performance of the application. CBS™ combines a highly engineered structural adhesive material (also known as structural foam) that is heat-activated and expandable with a carrier (thermoplastic, composite or metal). We thereby create a tailor-made reinforcement solution that strengthens specific areas of a structure.
CBS™ technology often reduces the complexity of an application, enabling our customers to save weight and costs due to less stamping dies for metallic parts. In addition to reducing solution cost and weight, CBS™ provides increased stiffness and safety.
Want to learn more about CBS™? Visit our CBS™ Masterbrand page.
- Standard solutions fully integrated in body in white (BIW) design
- Optimal balance of structural performance versus weight
- Compatible with traditional e-coat body process
- Enhances crashworthiness via high load bearing, load transition, multi-axis load management and energy absorption
- Simplifies complex assemblies
- Functional integration
- Load path management
- Section integrity
- Light weighting potential
- Increases durability and stiffness
- Reduces implementation timing
- No impact to traditional automotive manufacturing process
Automotive and Commercial Vehicle
- Doors and closures
- Other hallow sections
Our Composite Panel Stiffeners comprise an expanding structural adhesive contained within a fiberglass reinforcement and are installed in the body shop prior to the e-coat process. Composite Panel Stiffeners offer excellent substrate adhesion and pliability, which enables robust adhesion for contoured geometries. Once activated, the high-performance stiffening is improved due to the increased moment of inertia caused by foaming.
We approach every project with detailed analysis, enabling our engineers to determine the ideal size and positioning of the Composite Panel Stiffener and to provide our customers with optimal pricing and performance.
- Superior green state adhesion to a wide range of substrates
- Ability to apply to complex contours
- Magnetic products are available
- Initially pressure sensitive to enable placement prior to curing
- Achieves overall weight savings due to the use of thinner gauge panels
- High performance panel stiffening
- Vibration reduction
Automotive and Commercial Vehicle
- Door panels
- Roof panels
- Fender (front & rear)
- Lift gate and tailgate panels
- Floor panels
Closing out interior panel edges is commonly a very time-and labor-intensive process. Our series of FST Foaming Adhesives solves the issue by enabling a quick and easy way to trim honeycomb interior panel edges.
When cured at a range of 250°F to 350°F, our FST Foaming Adhesives can expand from 100 to 500% of their original volume. This versatility allows for filling voids and providing an edge that can be finished to optimal fit and coating specifications.
The predictable post-cure density provides a uniform material specification for the finished panels and can be saw-cut, laser-cut, milled, sanded, or lathed to meet the demanding fit and finish requirements of our customers. All FST Foaming Adhesives can also be applied into structures and provide local reinforcements.
- Machinable edge and fit
- Available in various cured densities
- Formulated to meet current cure schedules
- High strength bonding
- Outstanding FST properties
- Physical expansion
- OEMs qualified
- No CMR / No toxicity
- Easy to apply
- Reduces cycle time
- Adds strength for local reinforcement
- Ease of assembly
- Edge finishing
- Local reinforcements
- Radius enhancement
- Honeycomb bonding
Our Honeycomb Panel Reinforcements are lightweight epoxy-based materials developed to allow honeycomb cores to be readily reinforced in strategic areas without adding unnecessary weight.
We offer interior application products that can be used with manual or mechanical pump processes. Honeycomb Panel Reinforcements are supplied as a homogeneous material requiring no mixing or weighing of separate components, thus making processing easier and quicker.
L&L Products recenly launched a new approach to fill and reinforce aerospace sandwich panels using its L-9060 - an epoxy-based syntactic FST aircraft interior edge and core filler compound. L-9060 not only successfully locally reinforces honeycomb panel structures, it also solves issues caused by the manual process of alternative solutions.
- FST regulation compliant: FAR 25.853, ABD0031
- High mechanical properties
- Suitable for automatic application
- Products are offered as one-component, heat-activated or two-component, room temperature-activated
- No degassing during curing
- Long shelf life
- Smooth curing, reduced post processing machining
- No mixing or weighing of separate components, thus making processing easier and quicker
- Low odor
- Low toxicity
- Honeycomb filling
- Local reinforcement
- Border enhancement
- Insert bonding